Knowledge Management and Communications (KMC) Volunteer
Save Our Sea welcomes applications throughout the year for the position of volunteers to assist in the implementation of SOS KMC Strategy. The opportunity is open for Bangladeshi nationals as well as foreign citizens.
Save Our Sea (SOS) is an initiative of ‘Organization for Social Orientation’, committed to a just society with resilient social-ecological systems.
At Save Our Sea we work for the protection of the Bay of Bengal by exploring, documenting and efficiently managing biological diversity through locally led conservation efforts.
As a socially led platform run by ocean conservationists and other creative people, we are building the base-rock for marine conservation in the Bay of Bengal countries, that is, sharing knowledge and spreading the network.
Knowledge Management and Communications (KMC)
It is one of the crosscutting areas of SOS works. With a view to complementing and assist delivery of the Programme objectives SOS has set following four KMC objectives:
1. Establish SOS as a leader in sustainable marine and coastal ecosystem practices, within its defined geographic and thematic priority areas;
2. Secure additional funding and investment in SOS activities;
3. Document, share, and promote results from SOS projects for transfer and replication; and
4. Build an active network of organizations and individuals to implement the SOS objectives.
However, each knowledge management and communication activity is expected to have its own purpose, target audience/s and objectively defined in line with these aims.
Tasks of KMC Volunteers
The overall task of the interns is to assist the SOS Conservation Team to update and implement the SOS KMC strategy.
Specific responsibilities are to assist in:
• Creating a database organizations and personnel important for SOS implementation in Bangladesh
• Update the SOS KMC strategy
• Monitoring, Learning, and Evaluation of SOS projects and activities.
• Writing stories, press release, and media advisory.
• Arranging meetings, consultation, and workshops and document the outcomes.
• Undertake other relevant tasks that may be assigned from time to time.
1. Good command over English (written and verbal)
2. Impressive Inter Personal Skills and communications ability
3. Good Analytical Ability
4. A strong commitment to SOS’s vision and mission
5. Understanding of the marine and coastal ecosystem and community context of Bangladesh.
6. Ability to work in Dhaka, Chittagong, and Saint Martin’s office and in the field sites if necessary.
a) Creative writing ability
b) Ability to capture stories of change
c) Documentation and brand promotion skills
d) Education in any of the following disciplines will be preferable: Disciplines from Ocean, Earth and Biological Sciences, Mass-communications and Journalism, English, Development Studies, Sociology, Anthropology or other social sciences.
The volunteer will not be provided any allowance whatsoever. S/he will be responsible for all the personal expenses including accommodation, food, health and insurance.
How to Apply
Eligible candidates are requested to e-mail an Application Letter describing why you are interested in joining us and how you can help the cause of Marine Conservation with a copy of Curriculum Vitae.
Email us your application and CV to Mr. Sufian M Chowdhury at sufian at saveoursea.social
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be communicated.